We are two months in to 2010. Is everything going as planned?
Are you on track with your goals? Are you where you want to be?
"It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection force of character, and judgment” - Marcus Tullius Cicero
The key to building the business you desire is consistency, patience and follow through. I have talked about practicing your day, flirting with projects and even simply STOP doing things.
The thing is, you don't know what to do more of or what to stop doing until you evaluate results and reflect back on things. I have been spending some time this week reflecting on business and life. I was not feeling well, low energy, so it was a perfect time for me to have some conversations with myself.
"The way you take off is the way you land." - Darin Persinger
In one more month the first quarter of 2010 will be over. Only 30 more days to be on track with your first quarter goals. To use a line from my wakeboarding days, "the way you take off is the way you land." Meaning, if you take off, off balanced, late, in the wrong position, etc. the odds greatly increase of you landing off balanced, in the wrong position or just flat out crashing on your face.
The first quarter is your take off. How these three months go will play a big role in how your whole year goes.
I would like to invite you to take some time to reflect using these 7 questions as your reflection guide.
- What did you learn over the last two months? (What did you learn about yourself? Business? Technology? Other people?
- What were your biggest successes? (Why were these biggest successes? How did they come to be? What can you trace these success back to? )
- What are you going to phocus on over the next 30 days? (You cannot focus on everything)
- What are you going to improve? (What could you improve that would bring you greatest return?)
- What could you brand, package and share? (What knowledge/material do you have that you could leverage for great results for you business?)
- What are you going to quit? (If you are really committed to your goals and building the business you desire, you will have to give some things up. You can do anything, but you can't do everything.)
- How will you remain flexible, reactive and learning based? Business and life is changing so fast. It's great to have a plan, but if your plan included Social Media for example, you didn't even know what Google Buzz was only two months ago. Life comes at you fast.